1. Using any website like the Wall Street Journal or the Economist.com, obtain quotes for foreignexchange rates for the Yen versus the US dollar, and answer the following questionsa) What is the spot exchange rate for the US dollar vis-à-vis the yen?b) Suppose one year ago, the spot exchange rate for the yen was ¥100/$. Comparing that totoday’s quote, has the Japanese yen appreciated or depreciated?c) Suppose you export 100,000,000 (100 million) yen worth of goods to Japan today (what is thatworth at Monday’s spot rate?) But your buyer will make the payment only 90 days from now.Suppose further that the buyer will make the payment in Japanese yen only. Suppose the actual exchange rate for the yen, 90 days from now, turns out to be ¥100/$. Howmany dollars will you get 90 days from now? Suppose the actual exchange rate for the yen, 90 days from now, turns out to be ¥120/$. Howmany dollars will you get 90 days from now? Suppose you are like me, a conservative old man, who does not like this exchange rateuncertainty. Is there anything you could do to get rid of the uncertainty?2. Two countries, Britain and the U.S. produce just one good, beef. Suppose that the price of beefin U.K. is £2.80 per pound, and in US, it is $3.70 per pound.a) What should the $/£ spot exchange rate be, according to PPP theory?b) Suppose that the price of beef is expected to rise to £3.10 in the U.K. and to $4.65 in the USby the same time next year. What should the one year forward $/£ exchange rate?c) Given your answers to parts (a) and (b), and given that current interest rate in U.K. is 10%,what would you expect current U.S. interest rates to be?3. Consider a Mexican firm that knits sweaters for sale to a U.S. department store. The firm incurstotal costs of 16 pesos/sweater, and sells the sweaters to the department store for $5 persweater. The exchange rate is 4 pesos/$.a) What is the firm’s markup per sweater as a percentage of revenues?b) If the peso is devalued 20%, what is the new value of the peso?c) If the firm keeps dollar prices constant and peso costs constant, what is the markup persweater as a percentage of revenue after the devaluation?d) If the firm decides to keep the gross margin per sweater constant (at 20%), would salesexpand or decline? Why? What would the new dollar price be after devaluation? 4. Suppose GM is considering buying a plant in Hungary. All sales will be to Hungarian customersand denominated in forints. The projected returns and investments are as follows: Purchase price 30 billion forints Additional investment $50 million, all imported from U.S. Projected Hungarian sales 45 billion forints Projected earnings 4.5 billion forints Exchange rate 300 forints/$a) What is the total investment in dollars?b) Once the plant is up and running, what is the annual percentage return on investment?c) If the forint is devalued 25%, what is the new exchange rate? d) If this 25% devaluation was made after the purchase and additional investment werecompleted, what is the new ROI?e) Instead of selling to the Hungarian market only, suppose all sales were exports, priced in hardcurrency ($), yielding the same 4.5 billion forints earnings (at the original 300 forints/$ exchangerate.) If the 25% devaluation now occurred, what would happen to the plant’s profit margins? (2points)5. Is the US trade deficit always a bad thing? Many current US politicians including our incomingPresident advocate forcing China to strengthen its Yuan in order to help reduce the US tradedeficit. Based on the readings in the course and your own analysis, is this a good strategy? Wouldit work? Why or why not?6. Suppose that a decade ago, the Japanese yen stood at 120 Yen/$; Today, 10 years later, theJapanese yen is trading at 100 Yen/$. Consider the case of the heavy earth-moving equipmentindustry, consisting of essentially two major players globally, US-based Caterpillar and Japanbased Komatsu.a. What has happened to the Japanese Yen and how does it affect the relative competitivepositions of Caterpillar and Komatsu? Explain your answer clearly.b. How should this affect the strategic behavior of the two firms? You may wish to answer thisquestion first from the short-term perspective, and then from the long-term perspective.
Foreign exchange rates for the Yen versus the US dollar
We offer the best custom paper writing services. We have done this question before, we can also do it for you.
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How It Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.